The Traditional Morecambe Bay Potted Shrimps
Morecambe Bay Potted Shrimp is known for its unique sweet flavour, delicate texture, and a slightly spicy taste.
The freshly caught local shrimp are cooked in spiced butter until they are the perfect texture and then put in pots, best served warm or at room temperature. The potted shrimps go perfect with toast and are great as a starter or a light snack.
The shrimps are sealed with butter and transported all over the country, but there is no better place to try the local food than the town it’s caught in.
Fresh Fish from the Coast
A whole range of seafood is caught on Morecambe’s coast such as salmon, sea bass, cod, haddock, whitebait and more. With this grand variety, you are guaranteed to get fresh fish.
The most traditional type of seafood caught in Morecambe Bay is shrimp, going all the way back to before the 18th century, when shrimp nets were pulled by a horse and cart.
While the method has changed now as it is replaced with tractors, the traditional potted shrimp is still the same and is being carried on to this day.
Did you know:
Morecambe Bay’s football team were nicknamed “The Shrimps” because of this local dish.
According to the Queen’s former chef, Baxter’s Morecambe Bay shrimps are one of her favourite foods to have.
Keeping the Traditions Alive
While potted shrimps are a part of Morecambe’s history, it is not as well-known as it used to be. With shrimp trawlers in decline, the knowledge has been lost through generations, there is a fear of losing this piece of culture. If you are visiting Morecambe, it would be worth trying this tasty dish.
Other Local Foods from The Bay
- Salt Marsh Lamb – Located in Cockerham, a village not far from Morecambe, this local lamb has a unique flavour deriving from the diet of the sheep that graze on the marshes.
- Heritage Beef – This Beef is from a breed of cattle native to Lancashire, which are slower-grown, and grass-fed which gives the best-tasting beef.
- Lancashire Cheese – There are many places around the bay that supply delicious crumbly local cheese with its distinct creamy flavour.
- Seafood and Shellfish – Shellfish like cockles are caught locally and sold as street-food. As well as this, there is no better place to get fish and chips than Morecambe Bay.
- Full English Breakfasts – While the full English is found all over the country, if you have never had a full English before, Morecambe is a great place to try it – including our hotel!
The Morecambe Bay Hotel
The Morecambe Bay Hotel is a perfectly placed bed & breakfast located at Marine Road, Central Promenade in Morecambe, Lancashire. The ideal location for exploring the coast and trying the local food.
How to Book a Room at The Morecambe Bay Hotel
We are pleased that you would like to book a room with us. You can do this in several ways.
By following this link-
You can call 01524 874747 to speak to us at The Morecambe Bay Hotel or you can email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
The Morecambe Bay Hotel, 317-318 Marine Road Central, Morecambe, Lancashire.